Craigslist is a popular C2C website but not the one you should take cues from. There’s another one in China called Taobao, a consumer to consumer virtual mall that belongs to the Alibaba Group.
Taobao was founded in 2003 and in 2018 it reached 617 million active monthly users. It has 1 billion active listings and its revenue in combination with Tmall reached 3 trillion yuan in 2017. This is more than all the US retailers and e-commerce websites combined. As the C2C niche is not occupied yet in Europe and the US, online entrepreneurs start thinking about launching their own sites like Taobao.
Why websites like Taobao are so popular?The success of this C2C Chinese marketplace is in the way how Taobao works and its policy towards customers. There are four major reasons why Taobao is so successful. All sites like Taobao should implement these practices to succeed:
- Low costs for vendors and buyers. Low prices are what can surely attract more users to your marketplace built on a taobao clone script. For example, on Taobao, vendors can sell for free without any fees for the first several years and there are no transaction fees as well.
- User friendliness. Taobao software has several features that simplify the interface and make the communication easier and faster. For example, they have a convenient communication tool, customer-to-vendor chat, and a reliable and easy-to-use payment method Alipay.
- Powerful promotions and marketing efforts. This is a must-have practice not only for sites like Taobao but for every ecommerce marketplace on the Internet. Taobao was featured on popular Chinese portals such as 21 CN and Sohu, plus they advertise through popular TV shows and even movies.
- Cooperation with banks. Taobao cooperates with major banks of China such as ICBC, which gives the marketplace more trust and increases its reputation. This is not necessary for websites like taobao but corporate cooperation with big financial organizations can give some advantages to your online mall.
Why open your own C2C marketplace on a taobao clone script such as CS-Cart Multi-Vendor?To start your own C2C internet mall, you need reliable taobao software to build your website on. And to choose the solution, you have to learn how taobao works. This is a multi vendor ecommerce site, on which sellers have their own stores and pay to the marketplace administration for using the platform.
CS-Cart Multi-Vendor is a professional taobao clone script with all the necessary features built in. This platform can become a good solution for your multi vendor business. Here are the must-have features for a Taobao-like marketplace that CS-Cart has out of the box:
- Vendor management tools. Offer your sellers payment plans, pay out money via automatic payments distribution systems, offer your vendors micro stores and separate backend panels with the ability to set up promotions and configure the design of microstores, and more.
- Powerful promotion system. You can flexibly set up promotions with different bonuses for the whole marketplace, or allow your sellers to create their own promotions. Offer customers free shipping, gifts, discounts, and more.
- Mobile friendliness. All the interface is responsive—admin panel, vendor panel, and storefront. You can additionally benefit from a mobile application which comes with Multi-Vendor Plus and Ultimate for free.
- Limitless scalability. Sites like taobao tend to grow. CS-Cart Multi-Vendor has an open source code which means you can scale your marketplace almost limitlessly. Add custom features, extra payment and shipping methods, develop a unique design, and more.