By most modern standards, Craigslist is an example of a bad site. No graphics, original design and color variations that highlight important information for users. In fact, this is the style straight from the 90s, when developers did not know how to do other sites - minimalism in its purest form.
And one could say that Craigslist is still popular only because of inertia, but if you look at the design of Amazon.com, the most popular marketplace, you will see almost the same minimalism. Consequently, it's not just user loyalty.
Sites such as Amazon and Craigslist are popular despite the flawed design because they rely on functionality and sacrifice design for the sake of an “ideal flow of information” (or UX design).
Thanks to a well-organized flow of information, Craigslist users can very quickly achieve their goals, whether they are placing an ad to sell their great-grandmother’s sofa or buying a spoon.
How to build a website like CraigslistThere are two approaches to build a website like Craigslist: using open source solutions or developing from scratch. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of each option. This will help you understand which option is best for you.
1. Open source Craigslist script.
Usually, ready-made solutions are cheap and fast to launch. You can test a demo version of an open source Craigslist clone for a period from 15 to 30 days and decide whether it suits you. Besides some open source solutions are scalable and customizable so it is possible to enrich the functionality with add-ons.
2. Developing from scratch
If you plan to make a website like Craigslist from scratch, you will be sure that it has only those features that you need and the design you need. But the price is hard to predict. Besides the developing can take more than a year. Time is money as you know.
Why to choose CS-Cart open source Craigslist cloneLet’s name the minimal set of functions a Craigslist script must have.
The basis of the online ad platform consists of the following functions:
- Registration. Required to create a personal profile with which users can manage ads, accounts, and relationships with other system members.
- Personal accounts. In Craigslist, this feature is required for US users and those who post paid ads. You can use a similar business model with earnings on advertising.
- Search filters. Help users find ads relevant to their needs. Craigslist has dozens of search criteria.
- Placing ads. Users should do this in a few clicks with the help of intuitive icons, interfaces, tips. If access to this function will be difficult (for example, due to various personal confirmations or actions), this will create a negative user experience.
- Moderation ads. Users should be able to complain about ads if they advertise illegal products and services or do not comply with the rules of the site. And administrators should be able to moderate and delete such ads.
- Forum / blog for communities. Craigslist uses this feature to strengthen the community, increase engagement and help users.
- powerful catalog management
- shipping methods
- over 70 built-in payment methods
- comments, reviews, and ratings
- a mobile application - for those who wonder how to make an app like Craigslist.