CS-Cart Boilerplate Theme: Minimum of Code, Maximum of Flexibility
At CS-Cart, we’re continually developing and polishing storefront design—the built-in CS-Cart Responsive theme. The Responsive theme is mobile-friendly, customizable via the Visual Editor, and perfect for a startup.
But owners of the big online stores often order custom designs or install third-party themes to make their stores look unique. And here comes trouble for theme developers: to develop a new theme from the Responsive theme, a developer has to completely rework the Responsive theme by deleting tons of code.
We’d like to ease the work for theme developers, so we’re presenting to you a special CS-Cart Boilerplate theme that has a minimum of code and is easy to develop.
What Makes the Boilerplate Theme Easy to Work With
We’ve contacted our developer partners and asked them to provide us with feedback about CS-Cart theme development: difficulties, special aspects, and requests.
We’ve analyzed the feedback and created the Boilerplate theme—a skeleton that has much less code and files than the Responsive theme:
Bootstrap is open source and available on GitHub.
- The Boilerplate theme supports both Glyphicons, which ship with Bootstrap, and Font Awesome icons. These icons simplify and speed up theme development—you add a ready-made icon to your theme by copying the pre-cooked code.
- Since the Boilerplate theme uses Bootstrap, we have re-factored all the templates—now they use bootstrap components and have simplified HTML.
- The Boilerplate theme has 1,000 lines of our CSS code left (Responsive has 11,000 lines). Less code—less work to do.
- The number of template files decreased by 131 files compared with Responsive.
- Unlike the Responsive theme, which uses a 16-column grid, the Boilerplate theme has a more common 12-column grid.
Plans for the Future
After the release of the Boilerplate theme, we’ll continue to polish and simplify it. Here’s how we’re planning to improve it in the future:
- Through the theme, you’ll be able to override store settings—in the theme’s manifest.json file, you can change product page templates, thumbnails size, number of layout columns, and more.
- We’ll reduce the amount of the CSS code that developers have to modify during theme development and simplify the templates’ logic.
You are welcome to download the Boilerplate theme. Please test it, and post issues if you find any.
Tell us what you think about the new Boilerplate theme in this forum topic. We greatly appreciate your feedback!
We post all the CS-Cart news and announcements on our Facebook and Twitter pages, so follow us to stay informed.
Enter your email in the form below to get news and other cool stuff from us directly to your mailbox.