EDI stands for Electronic Data Interchange. This is a piece of software that helps B2B partners automatically and quickly exchange business data: invoices, messages, purchase orders, confirmations, emails, and others.
EDI tools greatly simplify and boost data exchange between companies. All the transactions are carried out automatically, which means less manual work and fewer mistakes.
Actually, the biggest advantage of the EDI system is that it fully automates data sharing between trading partners. Implementation of an EDI tool can also have a positive impact on the customer experience and relationships between the business parties. With EDI, purchasers and sellers interact faster with each other.
EDI systems can be cloud-based and on-premise. Cloud-based EDI software is quite popular among small and medium-sized businesses. It can be deployed very quickly and usually, it is simpler and has a shorter learning curve. On-premise EDIs are more complex, powerful, and costly. They are suitable for large enterprises.
We have looked through 27 EDI tools and picked the top 5 EDI solutions that have the most balanced (in our opinion) the functionality-price ratio.
Adeptia was founded by a small team of IT enthusiasts in 2000 in the United States. Adeptia’s next-generation EDI platform automates business data transactions and speeds up customer and supplier data onboarding by up to 80% using a self-service, citizen integrator approach.
The main feature of this EDI integration solution is that it doesn’t require heavy IT labor to set up and maintain business data exchange—everything is centralized in the cloud and non-tech-savvy employees can easily use it for quick data exchange for better decision-making and improved business agility.
In addition, it allows users to use self-service portals to onboard themselves for improving onboarding, reducing manual data entry, and expediting order processing.
The feature set of Adeptia Connect is quite rich but all the functionality is easy to use and doesn’t require special technical skill or IT support:
- Easy for non-technical users. Adeptia’s interface and logic are designed in the way that anyone who is familiar with web applications can master Adeptia’s integration application in an hour.
- Collaboration portal for internal and external users. Your employees, customers, and suppliers—all of them work in the same interface. They all see the same thing and can easily collaborate on data connections.
- Customer and supplier portal. You can provide your partners with access to a unified portal where they can see all the information about connections and available options. No need to develop proprietary portals for external partners.
- Shared templates. Adeptia Connect offers pre-defined templates for specific business information. For example, you can share order, invoice, inventory information, shipping information, leads, and other templates with your partners.
- Integration with third-party applications. Adeptia Connect integrates with popular eCommerce platforms, Salesforce, Quickbooks, Dropbox, Google Drive, and many other apps.
- Transaction configuration wizard. You can easily configure transactions with other companies and cloud apps.
- Access on-premise data. Adeptia is deployed locally on the company’s servers behind the firewall and connects to local applications and databases.
- Other cool features and capabilities include ETL, EDI, B2Bi, EAI, ESB, Hybrid integration, large file data ingestion, messaging, AI-powered data mapping, support of various data formats, and protocols, triggers and events, and others.
Adeptia offers 3 pricing plans for mid-sized businesses and enterprises. They also offer custom pricing depending on the business requirements. Users rate Adeptia at 4.5 out of 5 stars.
2. TEE (The EDI Exchange)
The EDI Exchange is an EDI tool developed by a small team of highly experienced developers in the United States. They have over 20 years of experience in completing integrations ranging from shipping, ERP, E-Commerce related projects accounting, and many more. The company offers a simple yet efficient EDI tool with 24/7 technical support and a personal account manager.
Besides the essential features of a proper EDI tool, EDI Exchange has some extra advantages:
- Integration with major trading partners such as Amazon, Ford, Acosta, Walmart, Georgia-Pacific, and others.
- Support of all major industries such as retail, automotive, pharmaceutical, grocery, transportation, and logistics.
- Integrations with third-party applications such as NetSuite, Salesforce, Quickbooks, ShipStation, and others.
- Fast setup. The team of highly experienced specialists takes over all the technical aspects of the implementation and maintenance of the system.
- Data security. The EDI Exchange security algorithms continuously monitor the data transaction process.
- No hidden prices. TEE says their prices are low compared to competitors and the pricing is transparent.
The company doesn’t publish prices but states they are super affordable. Based on this information and the features, we can say that TEE is a good choice for small and mid-sized businesses that don’t need excessive functionality. We put this tool to the third place because of the simplicity and affordability.
Arcesb started in 2005 in the United States. The company offers a complete and easy to use EDI solution that is available both on-premise and in the cloud. The key advantage of Arcesb is its code-free visual interface. No need for special skills to set up and use this EDI tool.
Arcesb is the most feature-rich EDI software on our list. The functionality is truly impressive:
- Supports all major EDI formats and all the existing document formats and protocols.
- Automation of the integration with third-party business applications such as CRM, ERP, marketing, finance, analytics, and other apps.
- A visual and easy-to-use interface that allows for data drag and drop transfer.
- EDI mapping and translation: map 10k+ EDI documents in 14 EDI standard formats to and from 100+ platforms.
- Managed file transfer: EDI managed file transfer involves sending EDI documents via secure, standard file transmission protocols.
- Cloud-ready: Moving on-premise servers to Azure or AWS can reduce the operational costs of managing infrastructure, increase availability with the ability to specify multiple nodes per cluster, and deliver rapid scalability.
- Best-in-class encryption and compression of the data: OpenPGP, AES, Zip, Jar, GZip, and more.
- Powerful API: The developer API allows you to easily integrate ArcESB into your internal processes or embed connectors into your product offering.
- Security: includes standard enterprise-class security features, such as TLS/ SSL data encryption for all client-server communications.
Arcesb pricing starts at $499 month/user and it is free for a single trading partner. Users rate Arcesb at 4.5 out of 5 stars.
InterTrade is the U.S. EDI provider that has been optimizing and improving retailers’ and suppliers’ supply chain for 25 years. The company was founded in 1996 in Silicon Valley and in 2004-2007 they launched web EDI. They offer EDI for retail, food, healthcare, and automotive. Dillard’s, Bonduelle, and BRP are among their customers.
InterTrade is a cloud EDI solution, which means you can easily access the system through your browser from anywhere.
The feature set is standard for a quality EDI tool: EDI testing, document archiving, data mapping, and others. Intertrade has everything you need to organize an effective business data interchange. There are some advantages we’d like to highlight:
- Seamless direct EDI. You can easily access the system via browser from any device and any location.
- Accelerated data flow. Transfer product information, purchase orders, invoices, and other important data hassle-free and securely.
- Data errors check. The algorithms help you catch data errors before the transmission.
- Quality customer service. The company promises to deliver industry-leading customer service experience.
The vendor doesn’t publish the pricing information. You can request a free demo or contact them directly to find out about the individual price for your business. The solution is suitable for mid-sized companies and enterprises. Users love InterTrade and rate it at 4.7 out of 5.
Infocon was founded in 1988 in the United States. They offer a powerful cloud-based EDI system that is perfect for big companies and enterprises. They also develop EDI solutions from scratch for integrating with any trading partner and any industry.
Infocon focuses on developing EDI systems based on company requirements. Their solutions support all the must-have features of a proper EDI software such as document archiving, EDI testing, reports and analytics, EDI mapping, third-party integrations, and more. We’re highlighting the key advantages of Infocon systems here:
- Any trading partner: the solution allows you to exchange business data with any trading partner.
- Any business application integration: Infocon will integrate with your favorite ERP, CRM, accounting, and other software.
- Any industry: they can adapt their EDI solution to any industry—automotive, retail, healthcare, food, and any other.
- Great customer service: Infocon offers 24/7/365 customer support.
- Fast setup: the Infocon team takes over all the technical headaches—they can make any business EDI-compliant.
The vendor doesn’t show prices to the public because they are very individual. You need to contact them to know how much it will cost you to make your business EDI-compliant. This EDI solution is suitable for big companies and enterprises. User rate Infocon systems at 5 stars.