Web server environment
CS-Cart is developed to meet most server configurations ranging from shared hosting accounts to dedicated servers. In fact, there are only two core things that your host must have to run CS-Cart:
- PHP versions 5.3.6+, 5.4, 5.5, or 5.6 (5.6 is recommended for CS-Cart and Multi-Vendor 4.3.x)
- MySQL version 4.1 or higher (MySQLi or pdo_mysql should be supported)
This makes CS-Cart compatible with almost every server that supports PHP and MySQL. However, we recommend Apache or Nginx as the most robust and stable servers for your web store.
With respect to the server operating systems, we recommend a Unix-like operating system such as FreeBSD, Linux, or OS X. Our commitment to Unix-like systems is confirmed by their well-known scalability, better security capabilities, and higher performance level.
Other requirements and recommendations include:
- safe_mode PHP directive should be disabled
- file_uploads, allow_url_fopen PHP directives should be enabled
- magic_quotes_gpc, magic_quotes_runtime, magic_quotes_sybase PHP directives should be disabled in PHP 5.3 (ignore this if you have PHP 5.4 or higher)
- the following PHP commands should be enabled: ini_set, ftp_exec, ftp_connect, ftp_login, ftp_get, ftp_put, ftp_nb_fput, ftp_raw, ftp_rawlist, mysql_pconnect, eva, system, exec, shell_exec, passthru, escapeshellarg, set_time_limit
- GD library or Imagick library should be installed. Please make sure your GD configuration includes the FreeType font library.
- cURL support should be enabled. You need this PHP extension to ensure support of secure connections, some payment systems such as PayPal and Authorize.Net, and real-time shipping rate calculators for FedEx and DHL/Airborne.
- Phar extension should be enabled (built into PHP since v5.3.0)
- ZipArchive extension should be enabled (built into PHP since v5.2.0)
- .htaccess file (if supported) should have the following directives allowed: DirectoryIndex, Deny, Allow, Options, Order, AddHandler, RewriteEngine, RewriteBase, RewriteCond, and RewriteRule
CS-Cart Architects Team Recommends
- VPS or VDS server should be used. For better CS-Cart performance we recommend a virtual or a dedicated private server. CS-Cart upgrades go smoother on VPS/VDS servers than on a Shared Hosting.
- Openssl PHP extension should be installed and enabled to generate more secure session keys
- Redis or APCu should be installed and set as a CS-Cart cache backend
- OPcache should be installed
- mod_deflate Apache mod should be installed
Compatible Hosting Providers
As you see, the requirements for the web server environment are quite typical—thousands of hosting providers meet them. If you have not decided on the hosting for your web store yet and are scared of the nightmare to choose one from the crowd, please consider a compatible hosting provider from our Compatible Hosting list.